24 Aug Senior Discounts
Age has its benefits. Like perspective. Those of us with some years under our belt often know what to expect in many situations, because we’ve been there and done that! There are also practical advantages to being older, like discounts on everything from utility bills to exercise classes.
You’re probably good at asking for your weekly grocery store discount, or for a senior ticket at the movies. But there are lots of other ways to save if you do some research and aren’t shy about speaking up! After all, you earned the right to save money. Why not take advantage of the opportunity?
Here in Atlanta and across the country, many restaurants offer a variety of senior discounts. Here are a few of our favorites, most based on a verified age of 60 or above.
- IHOP: 55+ menu
- Applebee’s: 10-15%, varies by location
- Chick-fil-A: refillable beverage, excluding coffee
- Subway: 10%, varies off by location
- Waffle House: 10% off every Monday plus daily $5 menu
- Dairy Queen: 10% off, free small drink at some locations
- Outback: 10% off for AARP members
- Dunkin’ Donuts: free donut with extra-large beverage for AARP members
- Sweet Tomatoes: daily Senior Meal deals and 10% off other times
- Steak ‘n Shake: 10% off Monday and Tuesday
Beyond restaurants, seniors can also save at retailers like Walgreens, Michaels and Kohl’s, as well as on hotel rooms, groceries and phone service. One of the most popular senior perks is the National Parks and Federal Recreational Lands lifetime senior pass. It recently increased in price for the first time since 1994, from $10 to $80, but you can also get an annual pass for $20. Check it out at https://store.usgs.gov/senior-pass).
There are lots of apps out there that make deal-hunting easier. Examples are Senior Discounts, Senior Savings, the AARP app, and Sciddy, which alerts people 50 and above about businesses offering senior deals.
Learn more about the stimulating, gracious lifestyle at Mount Vernon Towers, Sandy Springs’ leading senior residential community, by calling (404) 255-3534.